17th century Alderman Fenwick’s house in Newcastle city centre.
Alderman Fenwick’s House dates from the latter part of the 17th Century and has been, in turn, a private residence, a coaching inn and a political club.
The house is illustrated on the margin of James Corbridge’s Map of Newcastle, published in 1723 where it is shown as the house of Alderman Fenwick although there is no evidence that Nicholas Fenwick, the then owner, was ever an Alderman.
From 1781 it was in use as a coaching inn, the Queen’s Head Inn, until 1883 when the entire premises were leased by the Newcastle upon Tyne Liberal Club. The Club became an important part of the life of the City and the old house had a new role as a gentlemen’s club.
By 1962 the decision had been made to vacate the premises and the active life of the Liberal Club ceased and developers sought to demolish the building. The Building was then rescued in 1982 by the Tyne & Wear Building Preservation and the restoration was completed in 1997.
Alderman Fenwick’s House,
98-100 Pilgrim St,
Newcastle upon Tyne
- There is NO disabled access to Alderman Fenwick’s House.
- There are some steps to the front entrance and the room is located on the first floor, toilets are located on the ground floor. There is no lift in the building.
- The nearest parking is NCP Car Park Newcastle Carliol Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6UF
- There is no parking directly outside Alderman Fenwick’s House
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to the booking time for a drinks reception
- When you arrive, you will be greeted by one of our events team who will direct you to the drinks reception area
- At 6pm, our front of house team will show you to your seats around the chefs table. This is one complete private dining style table, while the chef prepares your dishes right in front of you!
- Please feel free to chat to all of our team and to ask the chefs questions
- A member of Tyne and Wear Preservation Trust will be on hand if you have any questions about the building or other beautiful locations that the Trust manage
- After your meal please join us for an aperitif, while our team will happily call you a taxi at the end of the evening
- Photographs, videos and social media is highly encouraged
- We look forward to having you join us for our first ever event, so enjoy the evening and let us bring out the experimental diner in you!